Trump calls Hormuz ‘American territory’ as ships go dark

Trump calls Hormuz ‘American territory’ as ships go dark

WASHINGTON
Trump calls Hormuz ‘American territory’ as ships go dark

 

U.S. President Donald Trump has described the Strait of Hormuz as “American territory,” although ship-tracking data show that most vessels whose routes could be identified were using the corridor designated by Iran rather than the route backed by Washington.

Speaking at a campaign rally in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, on Aug. 21, Trump said: “I view the Strait of Hormuz as an American territory right now. It’s an American territory.”

Trump previously said the United States had “total control” of the waterway and shared a map on social media labeling it “new U.S. territory.”

The strait runs between Iran and Oman and normally carries about one-fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas shipments.

Data from maritime intelligence company Kpler recorded 236 vessels entering or leaving the Gulf between Aug. 1 and 19.

Of the 88 ships whose routes could be identified, 83 used Iran’s northern corridor, three took the Omani route backed by Washington and two followed the prewar central route.

The remaining 148 vessels were classified as dark or unidentifiable, meaning their routes could not be reliably established.

Among 112 oil and gas carriers, 21 used the Iranian corridor and two took the Omani route, while 89 were dark or unclassified.

The figures do not establish where most vessels sailed. They show, however, that the Iranian corridor accounted for nearly all traffic whose route could be identified.

Before the conflict, ships generally used established traffic-separation lanes through the central part of the strait.

Iran now directs authorized vessels along a northern corridor near Larak and Qeshm islands, while Oman has promoted a route closer to its coast with U.S. support.

Some operators have limited or switched off their Automatic Identification System signals, making commercial tracking more difficult as Washington and Tehran seek to enforce competing rules in the waterway.

Iran says it will not fully reopen the strait unless the United States lifts its naval blockade and oil sanctions, releases frozen Iranian assets and ends military operations.

Washington is preparing further economic pressure.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said on Aug. 20 that the United States would impose its toughest sanctions yet, targeting Iran’s oil sales, financial transfers and ship-to-ship trade.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei rejected the planned secondary sanctions as an attempt to impose U.S. rules beyond its jurisdiction.

Bessent is expected to provide details of the measures on Monday.

US,