A TV screen shows a file image of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump during a news program at Seoul Railway Station in Seoul, South Korea, Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026. (AP Photo)
Annual war games between South Korea and the United States ended on Aug. 21, Seoul’s military told AFP, days earlier than initially planned after U.S. President Donald Trump had abruptly ordered them curtailed.
Trump said this week that the drills, which are designed to prepare for a possible attack by North Korea, were “inappropriate and hostile” towards nuclear-armed Pyongyang.
North Korea then fired around 10 short-range ballistic missiles on Thursday, while Kim Yo Jong, the leader’s powerful sister, mocked Seoul’s “master-servant” relationship with Washington.
The joint drills “have ended” on Aug. 21, a Seoul military official said. The exercises were originally scheduled to last until Aug. 27.
Nuclear-armed North Korea has long voiced outrage at the exercises, considering them dress rehearsals for an invasion.
The drills reportedly consist of two phases: the first, focused on defending against potential North Korean threats, was due to run until Friday. The second, focused on a counteroffensive, has been scrapped.
The Pentagon has previously said the reduced drills would cause “no degradation to U.S. training objectives.”
The United States stations about 28,500 troops in South Korea to bolster the country’s defenses, a legacy of the 1950-53 Korean War that ended with an armistice rather than a peace treaty.
Trump’s sudden focus on North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and his order to scale back the military drills have alarmed Asian allies.
The U.S. president also said recently that it was important to “get along” with Kim, adding that Pyongyang now had 57 “very powerful” nuclear weapons. Seoul says there are around 80-120.
South Korea’s Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back said this week Seoul remained opposed to officially recognizing the North as a nuclear-weapon state.