Saudi prosecutor in Istanbul for Khashoggi investigation
Saudi prosecutor Sheikh Saud al-Mojeb
Prosecutor Sheikh Saud al-Mojeb landed at Istanbul’s Atatürk Airport on a private plane late Oct. 28 and met with Turkish chief prosecutor İrfan Fidan in Istanbul's main courthouse on Oct. 29
Al-Mojeb was also scheduled to visit the Saudi consulate where Khashoggi was killed on Oct. 2.
The case has brought near unprecedented international scrutiny on Saudi Arabia, which is seeking to draw a line under the crisis after offering a series of differing narratives in the weeks following Khashoggi’s murder.
The 59-year-old Washington Post contributor, who had criticised Saudi Arabia’s powerful Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman, vanished after entering the Saudi consulate on Oct. 2 to obtain paperwork for his marriage to his Turkish fiancee.
Gruesome reports in the Turkish media have alleged he was killed and dismembered by a team sent from Saudi Arabia to silence him.
The Saudi prosecutor travelled to Istanbul after acknowledging last week that the killing was "premeditated", based on the evidence of a Turkish investigation.
US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis said Oct. 28 that Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir had vowed Riyadh would conduct a "full" investigation.
"We discussed it... the need of transparency, full and complete investigation. Full agreement from FM Jubeir, no reservations at all," Mattis said following talks in Bahrain.
He added he was confident that the Saudi investigation would include Turkey’s findings.
"Certainly Turkey with the evidence that they have compiled will ensure that there is more than one review of what is going on there and I am certain the investigation will include the evidence that Turkey has put forward so far," Mattis said.
Saudi authorities have arrested 18 men over the murder and President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has requested they be extradited for trial in Turkey.
Riyadh has dismissed the request, saying they will be prosecuted in Saudi Arabia.
The body of Khashoggi, who was once an insider in Saudi royal circles, remains missing.
Erdoğan, who has stopped short of directly blaming the Saudi government, has called on Riyadh to reveal the location of the body, indicating that his country had more evidence to reveal about the killing.
Prince Mohammad, the kingdom’s de facto ruler, has denounced the murder as "repulsive" and denied any involvement, while the Saudi leadership has pushed responsibility down the chain of command.