Two more bodies recovered from collapsed Turkish mine
DHA PhotoRescuers on Nov. 27 recovered two more bodies of miners killed after a landslide at the Madenköy copper mine in the southeastern province of Siirt, a security source said.
The bodies were recovered 10 days after the mine in the Sirvan district collapsed on Nov. 17, said the source, speaking on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media.
So far, 12 bodies have been found at the mine.
Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD), National Medical Rescue Organization, Red Crescent and gendarmerie have been involved in the rescue attempt.
Four other miners remain trapped underground and search-and-rescue teams are working to locate the missing men.
Heavy rainfall is believed to have triggered the landslide.
The mine’s operating manager was remanded in custody two days after the accident, accused of negligence related to safety regulations.
The Madenköy mine is run by Park Elektrik, a member of the Ciner Group, which has operated the facility since 2006.
In May 2014, 301 coal miners were killed at a mine in Soma in western Turkey, in the country’s worst ever industrial disaster.
This October, 18 miners died in a flood at a coal mine in Ermenek in central Turkey.