Turkey treats Turkmens injured in ISIL chemical attack
ANKARA – Anadolu Agency
AA photoFifteen Iraqi Turkmens suffering burns and other injuries after an Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) chemical attack earlier this month began their medical treatment March 24 in the Turkish capital of Ankara.
Dr. Muhammed Bayram from Turkey’s Public Hospitals Authority said that the 15 injured, including two children, and seven people accompanying them flew from Arbil, northern Iraq to Ankara.
Bayram said the injured were taken to the Polatli State Hospital, as an “isolated environment was needed.”
“We took them to that hospital as its physical and technical facilities are suitable,” he said, adding that they would also be taken to Numune Hospital and Gülhane Military Hospital for treatment.
Hasan Ali, a medical official from Tazehurmatu, the mostly Turkmen Iraqi town where the attack took place, said three people had died and two women suffered miscarriages due to the March 9 attack.
A Turkmen woman who did not want to be named said those injured were suffering severe burns on their faces, hands, and bodies.
An Iraqi said to be serving as a teacher in Tazehurmatu said ISIL is attakced with bombs every day at the end of the school day.
Activists said at least 30 of the town’s 300 residents suffered severe burns and suffocation following the chlorine gas attack about two weeks ago.