Six soldiers killed in separate PKK attacks

Six soldiers killed in separate PKK attacks

Six soldiers killed in separate PKK attacks

AA photo

Six soldiers were killed in separate attacks by outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) militants in the southeastern province of Diyarbakır and the eastern province of Bingöl on Aug. 24.

Five soldiers were killed and seven others were wounded in an attack by PKK militants in the Lice district of Diyarbakır.

PKK militants staged an attack on a military base in the district with long-barreled weapons and rocket launchers. 

The wounded soldiers were taken to Diyarbakır Military Hospital. 

Reinforcements were sent to the area and an operation with aerial support was launched. 

Separately specialized soldier was killed when a bomb hidden by PKK militants exploded in the Karlıova district of Bingöl. 

Security forces were carrying out an operation against the PKK when a home-made explosive device detonated, leaving Kerim Üye dead. 

The operation has been going on for two days in the area with aerial support. 

Earlier, two village guards were killed in clashes with PKK militants late on Aug. 23. İdris Demir was killed in sniper fire and Tarık Aydemir was heavily wounded.  

Aydemir was taken to Bingöl State Hospital, but succumbed to his wounds.

Additionally, two soldiers were wounded in a road-side bomb attack by PKK militants near the southern resort city of Antalya on Aug. 24. 

The militants detonated the bomb when a Turkish military vehicle was passing by, leaving a sergeant and a specialized sergeant wounded. İbrahim Dağ and Bayram Tokay were taken to hospital, while the police blocked the road after the explosion. 

An operation with aerial support was launched to apprehend the militants involved in the attack.
Meanwhile, a three-day curfew has been imposed in the Yüksekova district of the southeastern Hakkari province early on Aug. 24, after PKK militants launched a rocket attack in the district. 

“In order to prevent the terror attacks and carry out operations against the militants a three-day curfew will be in force starting from 6 a.m. on Aug. 24. Entrances and exits to Yüksekova are forbidden,” the statement released from the Hakkari Governor’s Office read, adding the decision “aims to protect the life and property of the residents in the district.”

Bomb kills child

Elsewhere, one child was killed and another was wounded when an object they found on the street exploded in the Nusaybin district of the southeastern Mardin province on Aug. 23. Two sisters aged eight and 10 were playing in the street when the object they found exploded. The two children were taken to Nusaybin State Hospital, but one of them succumbed to her wounds.