PKK kills three in Turkey’s southeast

PKK kills three in Turkey’s southeast

HAKKARİ – Doğan News Agency
PKK kills three in Turkey’s southeast

AA photo

Three village guards were killed in an attack by outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) militants in the Yüksekova district of the southeastern province of Hakkari on Sept. 29. The militants opened fire on the village guards, killing three and leaving two others wounded. 
The village guards were protecting heavy machinery carrying out construction efforts on a road near Yeniışık village when the PKK militants staged their attack with long-barreled weapons. 

The wounded village guards were taken to Yüksekova State Hospital.

A number of armored vehicles were sent to the area as reinforcements and an operation with aerial support was launched to apprehend the militants involved in the attack. 

Meanwhile, a soldier who was wounded in a PKK attack in Hakkari and was receiving treatment in Gülhane Military Medical Academy (GATA), succumbed to his injuries on Sept. 29. Cpt. Özgür Özekin was heavily wounded in the attack on Sept. 25 and taken to a nearby hospital before he was transferred to GATA in Ankara. 

The news of his death was delivered to his family in the Fethiye district of the southern province of Muğla. 
Also in GATA, a police officer, who was wounded by a PKK attack with a bomb-laden truck in the Cizre district of southeastern Şırnak province and was taken to hospital, succumbed to his injuries on Sept. 29. 

Sefa Altınsoy, 26, was heavily wounded in the PKK attack and died 32 days after the attack. 

The news of his death was delivered to his family in Muğla’s Ortaca district. 

Elsewhere, counter-terrorism police in Istanbul detained a suspect who was believed to have been preparing home-made explosives used by PKK militants. The detention came a day after the police caught a PKK militant, identified as Mazlum Ç. who was preparing attacks on security officers, also in Istanbul.

Ekin P., codenamed “Serhat” and allegedly the bomb-maker of the outlawed group, was caught in the Küçükçekmece district of Istanbul after being tracked by the police.

The police seized home-made hand grenades and objects used in bomb making during the search inside Ekin P.’s house. 

Separately, security forces found eight tons of explosives in the Savur district of southeastern Mardin province on Sept. 29.  The explosives were found in the area where five PKK militants were killed by security forces a day before.

A controlled detonation was carried out in order to destroy the explosives. 

In addition to the explosives, the police confiscated objects used to make bombs, according to Doğan News Agency.