PKK claims June 8 car bomb attack in Turkey’s southeast, as death toll rises to six
REUTERS photoThe outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) has claimed responsibility for the car bomb attack on June 8 in the Midyat district of the southeastern province of Mardin, as the death toll from the attack rose to six.
Meanwhile, one police officer who was heavily wounded in the attack and receiving treatment in hospital succumbed to his injuries on June 9, bringing the death toll to six.
In addition to three police officers, three civilians were killed and around 51 were wounded in the attack.
The attack in Midyat was the second large-scale car bomb attack in two days in Turkey, as six police officers and five civilians were killed in central Istanbul’s Vezneciler neighborhood on June 7. There has so far been no claim for that attack.
Yıldırım said June 8 that the outlawed group had made a bid for dialogue.
“These days news comes, directly or indirectly, from the terrorist organization [PKK] saying, ‘We can negotiate, we can lay down arms, we should talk.’ There’s nothing to discuss,” Yıldırım said.