Identity of Suruç bomber confirmed: Report
ISTANBULThe identity of the suspected Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) suicide bomber who hit Turkey’s southeastern town of Suruç has been confirmed by DNA tests, daily Habertürk has reported.
Şeyh Abdurrahman Alagöz, a 20-year-old university student registered in Adıyaman province, has been identified as the suicide bomber who carried out the deadly July 20 attack at a municipal culture center in Şanlıurfa’s Suruç district, which killed at least 32 activists planning to cross the border to help rebuild the Syrian Kurdish town of Kobane.
The investigation to identify the corpse of a female suspect is reportedly still ongoing.
Speaking to Radikal, the young man’s mother Semüre Alagöz said her son had gone “abroad” six months ago and returned only 10 days ago, before she lost contact with him.
“They didn’t tell us where they went or what kind of job they had found. I don’t know whether he joined ISIL.
He was a good boy,” the woman said. She added that Alagöz’s younger brother, Yunus, was also missing.
Speaking on July 21, Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu announced that one suspect had been identified in connection with the bomb attack.