152 people injured due to barrel filled with toxic gas in southeastern Turkey
ANKARA – Anadolu Agency
AA photoA total of 152 people were injured due to a chlorine gas leak in Turkey’s southeastern province of Siirt on Sept. 11, according to a statement from the Health Ministry.
The ministry stated 60 of the injured people were treated by the Turkish Red Crescent in a tent, as 92 people were hospitalized.
The incident occurred in Siirt’s Aktaş village, where some villagers had found a barrel filled with chlorine gas.
After an investigation was started into the incident, the Siirt Governorate Office confirmed the incident was caused by chlorine gas. Two suspects related to the incident have been detained and the police are searching for the other one.
Numbers of villagers had started to become ill due to the gas leak from the barrel, according to initial reports, said a statement by the Siirt Governorate Office.
Some 23 children were among those injured, the statement added.
The Siirt Governorate Office said there were no people in critical condition and ambulances, Turkish Red Crescent crews and Disaster and Emergency Management Authorities (AFAD) were dispatched to the scene immediately.
Meanwhile, no one had been seen in the village except for a few elderly women, who were seen by the media early on the morning of Sept. 12. The villagers were transferred to the Kezer area of the village first and then sent to their relatives in the city center. Villagers who were receiving treatment in Siirt State Hospital were reported to be in good condition.
According to the information received from the authorities, it was stated that the barrel was taken from the village during night hours to be examined. The chlorine gas leak was allegedly caused by an old barrel and was a chemical used in water solutions.