11 students injured during fire drill in Turkey's southeast
BİTLİS - Doğan News Agency
Eleven students were injured during a fire drill in a high school yesterday when one of the students poured paint thinner on dying flames in the southeastern province of Bitlis.
Two of the students were reported to be in serious condition.
A controlled fire was started in the Multi-Program High School's courtyard in Bitlis' Ahlat district to teach students fire extinguishing methods.
The fire had started to die down, but one of the students poured paint thinner on the flames to restart the fire, which resulted in a large flare-up that engulfed the student.
The student, while on fire, started to run and hurled the thinner drum in panic, which caused the fire to spread and engulf other pupils in the courtyard.
Teachers and other students performed first aid on the injured, who were then transferred to hospitals in Bitlis and Diyarbakır.
Reports said the fire department was not informed of the drill and were only called after the fire spread out of control.
An investigation has been launched into the incident.