Two detained over Fenerbahçe bus attack
TRABZON – Doğan News Agency
Trabzon Gov. Abdil Celil Öz said the suspects, N.S. and E.A., were apprehended in the Sürmene district of Trabzon. AA PhotoTwo suspects were detained early April 7 over an armed attack on Fenerbahçe’s team bus, Trabzon’s governor has announced.
Trabzon Gov. Abdil Celil Öz said the suspects, N.S. and E.A., were apprehended in the Sürmene district of Trabzon.
Öz said one of the suspects tailed after the team bus on its way to Trabzon from Rize and informed the other when the team were close to Sürmene. The other suspect then opened fire on the team bus with an automatic rifle. Öz also said the suspects had been seen on camera recordings.
The suspect who trailed the bus allegedly filmed the attack with his phone camera.
The other suspect opened fire on the team bus late April 4 in Trabzon’s Araklı district, leaving serious facial injuries to the vehicle’s driver, Ufuk Kıran.
The club was making its way toward Trabzon’s airport following a 5-1 Spor Toto Super League victory at nearby Çaykur Rizespor.
Kıran was struck by glass caused by bullets hitting the team bus’ windows, resulting in him losing control of the vehicle while proceeding along a viaduct. Serdal Kılıç, a team security official sitting next to Kıran, managed to press the brakes to prevent the bus from careening over the edge of the bridge.
The Turkish Football Federation decided to suspend all first-tier Spor Toto Super League games, along with the Ziraat Turkey Cup match-ups, for one week on April 6 following the attack.