Turkish family poisoned at dinner to celebrate surviving food poisoning
AA photoA family in the northern province of Tekirdağ is once again recovering from food poisoning, after a dinner party they threw to show gratitude to God for helping them get over their earlier illness not only made them sick, but their guests as well.
The family served the animal they had sacrificed as a show of gratitude to God to their friends and neighbors at the dinner party, causing a total of 25 people to suffer from food poisoning, Anadolu Agency reported.
“We don’t get it. First we were poisoned and then sacrificed an animal for God as a sign of gratitude for gaining our health back. Then we were poisoned once again, as well as the neighbors. May God save us from the worst,” said Alattin Erdal, a member of the family, adding they couldn’t make sense of what they had experienced.
“Food poisoning became our nightmare,” he said.
The family had initially suffered from stomach aches after having dinner that Asiye Erdal, Alattin Erdal’s wife who cooked the meal, and were hospitalized.
It was determined that the family of four had food poisoning and they stayed in the hospital for a week before being discharged.
Upon returning home they decided to hold a “gratitude dinner” with their neighbors for recovering their health, as well to get over the negative incident they had experienced. They sacrificed an animal to God and invited their neighbors over for dinner.
However, the Erdal family started to suffer from the same symptoms, as did the neighbors who attended the dinner.
A total of 25 people were hospitalized for food poisoning, 21 of whom were discharged from the hospital after receiving treatment.
The treatment of the remaining four was ongoing in intensive care.
Asiye Erdal commented on the family twice falling ill, saying that she would be more careful about preserving food. She also said they had become more selective of their food after the incidents.