Timeout for MİT agents in Dink trial
ANKARAThe investigation involving two National Intelligence Organization (MİT) employees, Özel Yılmaz and Handan Selçuk, in the murdered journalist Hrant Dink case has been dropped by the office of the Ankara Public Prosecutor on grounds “there was no need to prosecute.”
An investigation had started upon request by lawyers for the family of the slain Turkish-Armenian journalist Dink.
The two MİT agents summoned Dink in 2004 to the offices of the Istanbul Governor and gave him “warnings.” The investigation had been ongoing for a year when it was stopped in September.
The prosecutor’s decision said, “During the meeting on Feb. 24, 2004, the suspects expressed to Hrant Dink that ‘news about Sabiha Gökçen might inflict indignation in society and publishing such stories based on hearsay and sensation could be distorted and used by others.’”
“In light of this information, the two knew that some people were targeting Dink and that his life was in danger. It has been determined whether they warned Dink of this, but never conveyed such a warning to higher bodies and have not taken any steps to take any precautions,” the decision said.