Six suspects sent to court over ammunition bound for Syria seized in Adana
ADANA - Anadolu Agency
Six suspects were sent to court today over the seizure in Adana on Nov. 7 of scores of ammunition in a truck bound for Syria. DHA photoProsecutors sent six suspects to court today over the seizure in Adana on Nov. 7 of scores of ammunition in a truck bound for Syria, according to officials.
The truck was carrying 935 mortar shells, which were initially believed to be rocket heads, as well as a number of bazookas, guns and launching pads.
The materiel seized had been manufactured using the instructions of a Syrian refugee who has lived in Turkey for several months, and were to be sent to Syria where explosive charges would be added, according daily Hürriyet.
Adana Governor Hüseyin Avni Coş told reporters yesterday that the warheads were produced in the Central Anatolian province of Konya and "transported to Turkey's south, for Syria."
"This operation clearly demonstrates that Turkey does not support radical groups in Syria," Coş added.
Four workers detained at the factories where the weapons were produced have been released. The investigation is still ongoing, officials said.