Detainees in Sultanahmet blast increase to seven: Minister
AA photoTurkish Interior Minister Efkan Ala said on Jan. 14 that there are now seven detained suspects with links to the Jan. 12 attack in Istanbul’s historic Sultanahmet Square, which left 10 German tourists killed and 15 others wounded.
“The number of detained people has increased to seven in relation to the Istanbul attack,” Ala said, speaking at the eighth Ambassadors’ Conference in the capital of Ankara.
Fadli’s fingerprints were reportedly on record with Turkish authorities, as the bomber had applied for asylum at the Zeytinburnu Migration Management Directorate in the Istanbul district on Jan. 5.
The attacker went to the directorate alongside four other men, with whom he briefly stayed at the address he provided to the authorities.
Those four people were among the seven detainees, Doğan News Agency reported.
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu announced on Jan. 13 that four more people had been detained in relation to the Sultanahmet blast, in addition to the one detained in Istanbul on the day of the attack.