Turkish security forces complete anti-PKK operations in two areas
AA photoSecurity operations against outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) militants in Şırnak province and the Nusaybin district of southeastern Mardin province have been completed, Turkish security sources told Anadolu Agency on June 3.
The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media, said the operation in Nusaybin followed a curfew which started on March 14.
The sources said a total of 496 terrorists were killed, 508 barricades were removed, 52 trenches were filled in and 1,258 improvised explosive devices were destroyed during the nearly three-month operation.
A curfew is set to continue as security forces try to locate and destroy explosive devices planted by the militants, authorities said.
During the operation, the militants tried to slow down the security forces with improvised explosive devices planted inside buildings, gardens, the entrances of homes and under indoor carpets.
Security sources said that the militants used mosques and public buildings as headquarters during the operation as well as schools and health centers.
In addition, the security operation in Şırnak province which started on March 14, has also ended, said the sources.
A total of 498 militants were killed, 240 barricades were removed, 39 pits were filled in, 1,539 improvised explosive devices were destroyed and 4,131 homes were checked, it was stated.
In the Şırnak operation, 20 members of the security forces, as well as two civilians were killed, according to official numbers.
The PKK -- listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, U.S. and the European Union -- resumed its 30-year armed campaign against the Turkish state in July 2015.
Since then, around 500 security personnel, including troops, police officers and village guards, and 4,900 militants have been killed, according to official numbers.