Tim Cahill takes tough route to World Cup
The 38-year-old quit Melbourne City in December after rarely featuring in the starting line-up since joining the A-League side in 2016, despite playing a key role in helping Australia qualify for Russia 2018.
According to Sydney’s Daily Telegraph he was so desperate to again challenge himself at the top level that he paid more than Aus$500,000 (US$400,000) to get out of his Melbourne contract.
“The easy option was to stay at Melbourne City and just be a passenger, but that’s not my style,” Cahill, Australia’s most prolific international scorer with 50 goals, told the newspaper oh Feb. 1.
“People questioned my decision - there aren’t many 38-year-olds who have gone back to the top leagues, especially after going home to the A-League.
“But I can’t teach kids to follow their dreams and break barriers if I pick the easy option.”
Cahill first debuted for Millwall in 1998, making more than 250 appearances before joining Everton in 2004. He later had stints with the New York Red Bulls, Shanghai Shenhua and Hangzhou Greentown.
He said he was still ambitious, despite his age.
“If players want to go to the World Cup or play at the highest level, you have to test yourself,” he said.
Cahill has scored in three World Cups (2006, 2010, 2014) and is looking forward to working with Dutchman van Marwijk and his assistant
Mark van Bommel, who were appointed last month.