Prosecutor’s battle for life ends after four days
AĞRI - Doğan News Agency
Sadullah Ergin (L) and Haşim Kılıç (R) participated in the ceremony in Ankara. AA PhotoThe southeastern province of Ağrı’s public prosecutor died yesterday in the early morning after being heavily injured in an armed attack in Doğubeyazıt district on Feb. 5.
Although Interior Minister İdris Naim Şahin previously said the prosecutor was killed by an insane person, daily Sözcü yesterday reported that prosecutor Hakan Kılıç was working on a smuggling case that involved certain politicians.
According to the claims, Kılıç was shot by a gunman who was sent by the people involved in the smuggling.
Kılıç was airlifted to Ankara after being shot by an assailant while shopping in downtown Doğubeyazıt.
Doctors said Kılıç had sustained wounds to his back, neck and head. He was placed in intensive care after surgery, where he was resuscitated after his heart stopped once.
Kılıç lost his life despite all medical efforts, the report said.A ceremony was held yesterday at The Supreme Board of Judges and Prosecutors (HSYK) headquarters in Ankara for Kılıç. Justice Minister Sadullah Ergin and Constitutional Court President Haşim Kılıç and other top judicial officials participated in the ceremony.
“I can barely find words to express out pain. I extend condolences to all his colleagues and family,” Ergin said.Parliament Speaker Cemil Çiçek also gave his condolences to Ergin in a written message.
Kılıç’s remains were sent to his hometown Konya. Kılıç was married and had one child.
A special task force comprised of police and gendarmerie personnel was created in Ağrı to apprehend Kılıç’s killer. The suspect was reported to be mentally ill with a criminal record for armed robbery. Three people were taken into custody in Ağrı on Feb. 5 on alleged links to the killing.