Man wounded during coup attempt succumbs to injuries
ISTANBULA man who was wounded during the July 15 failed coup attempt succumbed to his injuries on Nov. 12, bringing the total death toll of the thwarted coup to 246.
Özcan Özsoy, 27, died in the hospital in which he was receiving treatment, Anadolu Agency reported.
Özsoy, who was among the people that took to the streets of Ankara to oppose the coup attempt, suffered a gunshot wound to the head that night and had been receiving treatment in the capital’s Gazi University hospital ever since.
His elder brother Tekin Özsoy said he and his brother had gone to the Gendarmerie General Command in the Beştepe district of Ankara on the night of July 15 to stop the putschist soldiers.
“They [coup-plotting soldiers] opened fire on us. Initially, I was wounded. Then my brother took me to a safe place. In that chaos, I lost track of my brother,” Özsoy said, as he added he found his brother at the hospital.
“I found him in hospital in the morning; he was shot in the head. He was showing good signs of treatment.
Unfortunately we lost him,” he also said.
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan previously visited Özsoy, who was married with a child, at the hospital. His funeral ceremony was held in Ankara.