UK, Germany update travel advice after Istanbul car bomb attack
REUTERS photoBritain and Germany have both issued an update on their travel advice to Turkey following the deadly car bomb attack in central Istanbul on June 7.
“On 7 June 2016, there was an explosion in the Vezneciler area of Istanbul. Vezneciler metro station and roads around the area have been closed. If you’re in the area, follow the advice of local security authorities,” the British Foreign Ministry stated.
The German Foreign Ministry also issued a statement warning visitors to be more cautious.
“On June 7, 2016, an attack took place in central Istanbul. Media reported after the incident that there were many killed and wounded. Visitors in Istanbul are advised to increase their caution,” the German Foreign Ministry said.
The car bomb attack targeting a police vehicle in the Vezneciler neighborhood of central Istanbul killed 11 people, including seven police officers, and wounded 36.
Britain had previously issued travel advice for its citizens over Turkey’s restive southeastern regions.
Many tourists staying at hotels near the scene of the attack have left their hotels due to security concerns.
In additon, the U.S. Consulate in Istanbul also urged its citizens to avoid the scene of attack.
“This morning, at approximately 8:45 a.m., there was a bomb explosion in the Vezneciler area of Fatih District in Istanbul. Multiple casualties have been reported and public transit in the area may be affected. We strongly encourage U.S. citizens to avoid the area, maintain a high level of vigilance, monitor local media for updates, and exercise caution if you are in the vicinity. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but extremist organizations/groups continue to issue non-specific warnings of terrorist attacks during the Ramadan holiday,” the consulate said in an emergency message issued on its website.