Two killed in rocket attack from Syria on mosque in Turkey

Two killed in rocket attack from Syria on mosque in Turkey

Two killed in rocket attack from Syria on mosque in Turkey

At least two civilians were killed and six others were injured when a rocket fired from the Syrian district of Afrin hit a mosque in the Turkish border province of Kilis on Jan. 24.

The rockets hit two locations in the city center, including the Çalık Mosque during prayer time, Kilis Governor Mehmet Tekinarslan stated.

The attack came as Turkey’s “Operation Olive Branch” was continuing, targeting militants of the Syrian Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) in Afrin.

Tekinaslan confirmed the first death, saying one civilian, who was critically injured, had died in hospital.

A press statement issued from the governor’s office later on Jan. 24 said a second civilian had also succumbed to his wounds.

One of the victims was a Syrian citizen, according to initial reports.

Meanwhile, another rocket hit a house in Kilis, according to Governor Tekinarslan. Five people in the house, including four children, were affected by the smoke and were rushed to hospital.

Troops of the Turkish Armed Forces stationed at the border retaliated to the attack, according to a military source, saying the terrorist targets were detected by radar.

303 militants ‘neutralized’

Meanwhile, the Turkish military stated on Jan. 25 that “at least 303 militants” have been “neutralized” since the start of “Operation Olive Branch.”

The military uses the term “neutralize” to signify that the targets were killed, injured or captured.

Turkish forces also destroyed six targets used as weapon pits, shelters, and ammunition depots by the YPG, the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), and the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), the military added.

”Operation Olive Branch” is “successfully continuing as planned. The only things being targeted are terrorists and any shelters, pits, weapons, vehicles and equipment that belong to them,” the statement read.