Turkish military denies reports on commanders’ meeting on possible Syria incursion
ANKARAReports that the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) recalled commanders deployed along part of its border with Syria to the capital Ankara for a meeting on a possible military incursion into Syria “do not reflect reality,” Turkish military sources stated on July 6.
According to the news reports, the commanders of commando brigades in the Bolu and Kayseri provinces were also due to attend the meeting at the General Staff headquarters, where details of a possible incursion would be discussed by the commanders who would be responsible for such an operation.
However, military sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, told state-run Anadolu Agency that no such meeting took place at the HQ and no such meeting is planned either.
Reports of the meeting followed last week’s visit to the border region by Land Forces Commander Gen. Hulusi Akar and 2nd Army Commander Gen. Adem Huduti. Over the weekend, Special Forces Commander Major Gen. Zekai Aksakallı also visited the region.
Although Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said last week that there were “no immediate plans” for any incursion, the TSK has recently deployed additional troops and equipment along part of its sensitive border with Syria.