Turkish FM says US informed Turkey before missile strike in Syria
ANKARAThe United States informed Turkey before it attacked a Syrian base early on April 7, Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu told reporters on April 7 in Antalya.
“U.S. Ambassador to Ankara John Bass contacted to our [Foreign Ministry] undersecretary Ümit Yalçın,” Çavuşoğlu said.
Information on the attack was also diffused through the coalition members fighting against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), Çavuşoğlu said, stressing “there is no problem on this.”
Çavuşoğlu also said he had spoken by phone with the French and German foreign ministers, although he did not say when.
He also said contacts had been initiated with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
The minister also called for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's immediate removal, saying a transitional government must be established.
"It is necessary to oust this regime as soon as possible from the leadership of Syria," Cavusoğlu said.
"If he doesn't want to go, if there is no transition government, and if he continues committing humanitarian crimes, the necessary steps to oust him should be taken," he said.
He also added that safe zones for civilians in Syria were now more important than ever.