TFF mulls lifting ban on away fans
Turkish Football Federation (TFF) chairman Yıldırım Demirören speaks to reporters after a meeting with Youth and Sports Minister Suat Kılıç in Ankara. AA photoA ban on away fans traveling to high-risk derby fixtures could be lifted for the 2013-14 season, Turkish Football Federation (TFF) Chairman Yıldırım Demirören has said.
“Both the federation and the Union of Clubs are in favor of lifting the ban,” Demirören said following a meeting with Youth and Sports Minister Suat Kılıç yesterday.
During the meeting, Minister Kılıç also said the prohibition should be lifted.
“The ban on away fans was a decision of the clubs, but the decision is alienating football fans from each other,” Kılıç said yesterday. “Maybe in the coming weeks, we will start an initiative and prevent this alienation.”
According to a ruling made by the Union of Clubs, which is formed by the chairmen of the 18 top-flight teams, no visiting fans have been allowed to games between Galatasaray, Fenerbahçe, Beşiktaş and Trabzonspor over the last two seasons.
Earlier this month, Fenerbahçe made an official application to cancel the ban, and asked for allocation of away tickets for the Dec. 16 Spor Toto Super League derby game against Galatasaray following a protest by its fans.
However, the TFF and Galatasaray rejected the demand on the grounds that some of the derbies had already been played without away supporters and that the situation would create an imbalance.
Demirören recalled that this was not limited to football. “The ban on away fans was used in football in the last year, but as far as I know, it has been used in basketball [derbies] for four years,” he said.
“This is not just today’s problem. Not just football’s problem, either. It is a general problem and clubs’ decision. We are in favor of lifting the ban next season.”