Tent fire in Van leaves a family of 7 homeless
VAN - Anatolia News Agency
AA photoThe incident was reported to take place when a spark from the stove set the tent cover on fire, leaving the Bingöl family devoid of their shelter.
A tent housing a family of seven in the eastern province of quake-struck Van burnt down yesterday. No casualties have been reported, but the fire left the family homeless with no belongings.
The blaze started when a spark from the stove caught the tent cover on fire, according to reports. Despite neighbors’ efforts to put out the flames, the fire rapidly grew.
Şaban Bingöl, the owner of the tent, said he and his neighbors tried to extinguish the fire but the tent burned down before firefighters could reach them. “I built this tent with my own hands. I called the municipality when the fire started but they did not respond in time. Now my family is homeless,” Bingöl said.
There have been reports of numerous tent fires in the Van city center and nearby districts.
Despite officials’ warnings not to use stoves inside the tents, residents have said they must do
so because of the cold conditions in the region. Two children
were killed a in a Nov. 18 tent fire in Van.