Soma mine victims’ families 'to soon be given payments'
BALIKESİR – Anadolu Agency
The authorities will give the families of the 301 miners who lost their lives in the May 13 tragedy a permanent salary. AA PhotoThe state is providing aid to the families of last week’s Soma mine disaster, Balıkesir Gov. Ahmet Turhan has said, adding that authorities would soon begin giving victims’ families payments to cope with their loss.
“The families of the miners who lost their lives are being given 1,000 Turkish Liras initially, and they also received food aid. We will give each of these families 2,000 liras tomorrow,” said Turhan.
Turhan said the families of the 301 miners who lost their lives in an explosion that took place on May 13 would be put on a salary by the state as soon as possible. “Until that time, our foundations for social assistance and solidarity is meeting the families’ needs. Philanthropists and NGOs are giving necessary support,” said Turhan.
The definitive death toll in the disaster that took place in Manisa’s Soma district has been announced as 301 by the Turkish government, after “the last body” was reportedly pulled out of the mine on May 17. Others in the area, however, accuse the government of concealing the true death toll.
“We will give more support to the families. There is no pain on earth like the loss of a child. We will make their graves. Some families’ situation is worse than we expect. We will give more support to these families. Our teams are visiting the families and determining their needs,” said the governor.
He also said 104 of the miners who died in the coal mine disaster in Soma were residents of Balıkesir province. Some 82 of the miners have been buried in districts in Balıkesir, while the rest have been interred in Manisa and other provinces.