Prosecutor of second graft probe denies claims of leaking information to media
Prosecutor Muammer Akkaş denounced 'pressures' after being removed from a graft investigation. Cihan photoThe head prosecutor of a second corruption investigation who was controversially removed from the case this week has denied Dec. 30 claims that he leaked confidential information regarding the probe files to the media.
“I have not leaked information or document to anyone without authority about any investigation that I conducted,” Muammer Akkaş said in a written statement.
Akkaş was on the target board of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who not only accused him of leaking information to media, but also claimed that he was using his position to go after the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP).
"How is this, prosecutor? Hold on, we are not done yet. You distribute statements in front of the courtroom. What prosecutor comes out onto the street to distribute statements?”Erdoğan rehetorically asked during a rally this weekend referring to Akkaş.
Akkaş said that he had literally been exposed to a lynching campaign after he denounced “pressures” in a statement on Dec. 26 that prevented him of carrying out a corruption investigation reportedly larger than the one which implicated four government ministers.
“I had presented the situation to the public’s knowledge with a statement I made on Dec. 26 without targeting any specific person or institution or endangering the confidentiality of the investigation to the press which, as the European Court of Human Rights emphasizes in many decisions that is a must of a democratic society,” Akkaş said in his statement.
“What has been launched and turned to a lynching campaign after my statement and due to the expression used [against me], I felt the need of making a statement for a second time,” he added.
Akkaş had previously stated that police officers had been prevented to carry out arrest orders within his investigation was said to implicate key civil servants and prominent businessmen.
However, a tit-for-tat statement of Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor Turan Çolakkadı rejected claims of pressure. He also hold Akkaş responsible for the leaks to the media, an accusation which was picked up by many government officials, including Erdoğan.