8 PKK militants killed by security forces in Turkey’s southeast
AA photoEight outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) militants have been killed in the southeastern provinces of Mardin and Şırnak, the Turkish General Staff said on April 24. The militants were killed during clashes between the PKK and Turkish security forces, as operations in the region continued.
Four militants were killed and 14 home-made explosives were destroyed in an ongoing operation in the Nusaybin district of Mardin on April 23. A total of 286 militants have been killed and 623 explosives have been destroyed during the operations, the General Staff announced.
Four militants were also killed in an operation in Şırnak, while another militant surrendered to security forces on April 23. The number of militants killed in operations in the province has reached 246, while a total of 704 home-made explosives have been destroyed since the beginning of the operations, according to the General Staff.
Meanwhile, security operations have been launched and curfews have been imposed on 16 villages in the Lice district of the southeastern province of Diyarbakır.
The curfew was declared at 9:00 a.m. on April 23 and will be imposed until further notice, read the statement released from Lice District Governor’s Office.
“It is crucial for the citizens to respect the curfew for the security of their own lives and properties. The end of the curfew will be announced,” said the statement.
The operations which began after the curfew had been declared are ongoing with aerial support.
Reinforcements from the ground were sent to the scene, while helicopters opened fire on areas where PKK militants were located.