Workers strike during Kılıç’s visit to Mersin
MERSİN - Hürriyet Daily News
Turkey’s Youth and Sports Minister Suat Kılıç (R) speaks to construction workers on strike during his visit to Mersin, the host of the XVII Mediterranean Games.Construction workers’ problems stole the show during the Youth and Sports Minister Suat Kılıç’s visit to Mersin for preparations for the Mediterranean Games, daily Radikal reported.
Workers went on strike Sept. 13 when Kılıç was visiting the facilities’ construction area in the southern Turkish district.
Workers complain about insurance, salary woes
The workers claimed that the contractor company, Uzunlar, has not been paying them in the last two months leading them to go on strike. They also complained that they were not granted insurance.
“I promise we will sort that out soon. Now you go and continue working because we need to finish the facilities as soon as possible,” the daily Radikal quoted Kılıç having said. The minister also added that they will not let the contractor employ workers without insurance.
The XVII Mediterranean Games will be held next year between June 20 and 30 in Mersin. The Turkish city lost the initial race to Greece’s Volos, but won in a second bidding last year when the Greeks pulled out from hosting due to economic crisis.
Kılıç said that the Mediterranean Games will be an important opportunity for Mersin.
“A total of 6,000 athletes and staff will come to Mersin. There were 10,000 athletes in London Olympic Games, so the Mersin Games can be called as having half-Olympic stature,” Kılıç said. “Those games will leave permanent remarks in Mersin. All those facilities that are being built will give Mersin the identity of a sports city.”