Turkish man accused of plotting terrorist attack had former British PM Blair's address
LONDON - The Associated Press
A sketch by court artist Elizabeth Cook shows E.I. seated at London's 'Old Bailey' central criminal court, on Oct. 13. AP Photo /Elizabeth Cook / PAA suspect of Turkish origin has been accused of plotting an attack potentially targeting former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, during a trial in a British court on Oct. 14.
Prosecutors said the man, identified only as E.I., was holding both Blair's address and bomb-making instructions in his car.
Opening his trial Oct. 14 at London's Central Criminal Court, Prosecutor Richard Whittam said the address might be significant, though he does not argue that E.I. had necessarily "settled on a specific target or a particular methodology" for an attack.
Whittam said the suspect may have been planning to attack a "significant" individual or to stage Mumbai-style shootings.
The suspect denies all charges.
E.I., arrested last year after being stopped for a road traffic offense and prosecutors sought to have the trial held in secret on national security grounds.
After a challenge from media organizations, a judge ruled that some sections of the trial should be held in public.