Over 21,000 facilities in Türkiye can join a European class-action lawsuit against Booking.com over anti-competitive commission rates, local media reported.
The Netherlands-based Stichting Hotel Claims Alliance manages the litigation supported by the umbrella group HOTREC and over 30 national hotel associations. Total compensation could reach 3 billion euros for the 2004-2025 period if all eligible Turkish hotels participate. A 10 percent participation rate yields 450 to 500 million euros.
Hergüner Bilgen Üçer Attorney Partnership provides legal support, assisted by hospitality industry expert Armin Zerunyan. The lawsuit targets market power abuse forcing independent and mid-scale hotels to pay commissions reaching 25 to 30 percent, Zerunyan said.
The litigation does not mean severing commercial ties with the platform, he said. Lower commission rates could reduce room prices during high seasons when price sensitivity peaks.
The legal process begins by 2027 and takes two to three years but could conclude sooner through a settlement. Participating facilities remain anonymous until compensation calculations require digital commission invoices. Over 15,000 European hotels joined the suit while maintaining operations without facing retaliation or business loss, Zerunyan said.
The Turkish Competition Board identified platform violations in 2017, predating a Sept. 19, 2024 European Court of Justice ruling. Lawmakers last week submitted a bill to Parliament requiring foreign booking platforms like Airbnb to pay 5 million Turkish Liras ($104,000) for a two-year license while capping commissions at 17 percent. Parliament will debate the proposal in October.