Turkish handball team's bus attacked with stones
ISTANBUL – Agence France-Presse
AA PhotoThe team bus of Turkey's top men's handball side was attacked April 10 by unknown individuals who threw stones at its windows, days after a shooting attack on a top flight football club, reports said.
The Beşiktaş Mogaz bus was pelted with stones as the players were playing in an away match in the Mediterranean city of Mersin.
Pictures posted on social media showed the windows of the bus had been left with gaping holes after being hit by rocks. No one was reported hurt.
The state-run Anatolia news agency said the attack happened while the game was in progress and the players were later able to safely leave the venue.
Beşiktaş Mogaz are the handball branch of the world famous Istanbul-based multisport club Beşiktaş, whose football team is one of Turkey's most iconic sides.
The attack came after the team bus carrying top flight Turkish football side Fenerbahce was at the weekend fired on in the Black Sea region, prompting the Turkish Super Lig to be suspended by one week.
Two men were arrested over that attack, but were released on Wednesday. It is not clear what stage the investigation is at now.
Beşiktaş Mogaz, who ran away with the title in the regular season, were playing Mersin in the play-offs that conclude the season. They won the tie 47-32.
"The windows of the team bus were broken. It was an important game for us, we won, and we came to no harm," the team's coach Mufit Arin told the Haber 1903 Besiktas news website.