Turkey condemns terror attack on Egyptian Coptic Church
ANKARA – Anadolu AgencyThe Turkish Foreign Ministry has strongly condemned the Dec. 10 terror attack on a Coptic church in Egypt’s capital that killed at least 25 people.
“We convey our condolences to the bereaved families of those who lost their lives in this heinous attack and wish a speedy recovery to the wounded,” the Foreign Ministry stated on Dec. 11.
A bomb exploded outside the St. Mark’s Cathedral Coptic Orthodox Church in Cairo just hours after twin blasts that rocked Istanbul left 44 dead and at least 150 wounded.
“We would like to emphasize that Turkey, which was targeted by a similar heinous attack last night, shares the grief of the Egyptian people and is in solidarity with them,” the ministry said.
It reiterated that “international cooperation in the fight against terrorism, which targets all innocent people regardless of religion, race and sect, should be consolidated with sincere efforts.”
No one has claimed responsibility for the explosions.
Meanwhile, Egyptian Foreign Ministry spokesman Ahmed Abu Zeid expressed solidarity with Turkish people and called on the international community to prevent terror groups.
“Egypt strongly condemns the attacks in Istanbul and reiterates its stance against terrorism that threatens international peace and security,” he said.
Relations between Ankara and Cairo ruptured in 2013 after the military, led by then defense minister and now President Abdel-Fattah el-Sisi, ousted the elected President Mohamed Morsi, a move heavily by criticized by Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP).
Ties have been severely damaged since then as both nations have withdrawn ambassadors from each other’s capital.