Those who didn't condemn Egypt coup are now accomplices of massacre: AKP spokesman
Ruling Justice and Development (AKP) spokesman Hüseyin Çelik says the government's stance has been exemplary since the coup. AA photoRuling Justice and Development (AKP) spokesman Hüseyin Çelik has slammed Egypt's army chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi for the army crackdown early July 27 that killed at least 70 supporters of ousted President Mohamed Morsi who were gathered at a rally in Cairo.
"Those who did not call the coup in Egypt a coup are accomplices of this massacre," Çelik told private broadcaster NTV.
"If you attack unarmed people this is a human tragedy and a shame," he added.
Çelik also slammed EU foreign chief Catherine Ashton's own condemnation statement of the killings, which urged all parties to halt violence.
"The United States and the European Union could not call it a coup. Now the High Representative of the EU for Foreign Affairs Catherine Ashton is calling on all parties to restrain from violence. As if the two parties had weapons in their hands," Çelik said.
"Two sides are not clashing in Egypt. I hope that the Muslim Brotherhood will defend its rightful struggle until the end without resorting to violence," he added.
Çelik also said the government's stance had been exemplary since the coup, saying Turkey was "the country that passed the best test after the military coup in Egypt."
The latest killings came at a time when Turkey and Egypt had started to take steps in order to restore relations. President Abdullah Gül has sent a message on July 23 to interim President Adly Mansour congratulating the Egyptian people on the national day. Ankara was also expected to send a new envoy to Cairo as a sign of Turkey's desire to mend relations with the interim government.
Main opposition leader expresses concern
Meanwhile, the leader of the main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) also condemned the killings in Egypt.
"The hundreds of thousands people gathered in Tahrir Square asked for democracy and freedom. The coup has mostly suppressed these demands. We cannot accept what has happened today," Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu told reporters during a visit to the families of Gezi protesters in the southern province of Hatay.