Prosecutors issue arrest warrant for more than 400 over coup attempt
ISTANBULTurkish prosecutors on Jan. 21 issued arrest warrants for more than 400 people, including soldiers and security officers, across the country following the July 2016 failed coup attempt, state-run Anadolu Agency has reported.
They were being sought on suspicion of using ByLock, an encrypted messaging application said to have been used by members of the movement loyal to the U.S.-based Islamic preacher Fethullah Gülen, accused of orchestrating the attempted takeover.
Among the suspects were 180 soldiers from the land and naval forces, who had been dismissed from the army after the coup attempt, while 12 were detained later.
An arrest warrant was also issued for another 235 suspects, including 187 security officers. Police later detained some 132 suspects, the agency said.