OMV also eyes Azeri gas project

OMV also eyes Azeri gas project

ANKARA - Reuters
OMV also eyes Azeri gas project

Austria’s OMV wants to jointhe TANAP project.

OMV, the Austrian energy firm, is seeking to be a part of the Trans Anatolian Pipeline (TANAP), the $7 billion project to carry Azerbaijani natural gas to Turkey’s east, according to Turkish Economy Minister Zafer Çağlayan.

“OMV has demanded [an opportunity] to join the TANAP project. I will pass this demand on to Energy Minister Taner Yıldız,” Çağlayan said in response to journalists’ questions after a meeting in Ankara on Sept. 21

Çağlayan was in Austria earlier this week for official talks.

OMV is also a part of Nabbuco, of of two remaining rivals competing to carry TANAP gas from Turkey to eastern markets. The other shortlisted consortium for the business is the Trans Adriatic Project (TAP)
The TANAP project is expected to start next year. Turkey owns a 20 percent stake in TANAP, as Azeris state-run holds the remaining 80 percent. Baku said earlier that Socar might sell its 29 percent share to Statoil, Total and BP as Minister Yıldız gave Total a green light earlier in the week.