Galatasaray in talks with Cesare Prandelli
Italy's coach Cesare Prandelli waits prior to the start of a Group D football match between England and Italy at the Amazonia Arena in Manaus during the 2014 FIFA World Cup on June 14. AFP PhotoGalatasaray has announced it is in talks with Italian Cesare Prandelli for the vacant position as head coach.
In a brief statement, the Istanbul club said it had “started talks with experienced Italian coach Cesare Prandelli.”
Although the talks were not finalized, announcements made on the Public Disclosure Platform (KAP) are largely done when negotiations are at a positive stage, since football clubs are listed as companies in the stock market.
Galatasaray has been searching for a new coach since last month’s departure of Roberto Mancini, whose contract was mutually ended after he had a fall-out with the board regarding the low transfer budget. Mancini led the Lions to victory in the Turkish Cup and runner-up in the Süper Lig in addition to advancing to the second round in the Champions League.
Last week, Scottish coach David Moyes came to Istanbul to talk with the club, but Chairman Ünal Aysal said the former Everton and Manchester United coach “was just one of the candidates.”
Prandelli recently ended his spell with the Italian national team after a disappointing first round exit from the World Cup in Brazil. The former Fiorentina and Parma coach, however, masterminded Italy to a runner-up finish in the 2012 European Championship.
The Turkish media says Prandelli was offered a contract worth 4.5 million euros a year.
The Prandelli story came on a day when Galatasaray reportedly agreed to terms with Hugo Almeida. The Portuguese striker is out of contract after not renewing with his former club Beşiktaş, where he has scored 47 goals in 108 games over the course of three and a half seasons.