CHP, MHP urge gov’t to disclose number of casualties in PKK attack
AA PhotoTurkey’s two major opposition parties have called on the government to disclose number of casualties in an attack against Turkish soldiers launched on Sept. 6 by the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK).
“The Turkish nation wants to hear, learn and know all truths about Dağlıca, which are hidden and covered up. The government should immediately announce number of our martyrs and share truths with the public,” Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) leader Devlet Bahçeli said in a written statement released on Sept. 7 following the attack in Dağlıca of the southeastern Anatolian province of Hakkari. The attack appears to be the deadliest one by the PKK since the collapse of a three-year-old de-facto ceasefire in July.
“Each passing hour will rekindle the national rage that has piled up, and the wave of social reaction and indignation will throw our country into an uncontrolled course,” Bahçeli added.
Earlier on Sept. 7, the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) released a statement concerning the attack; however, it failed to provide a casualty toll.
Speaking at a press conference shortly after Bahçeli’s statement was released, a spokesperson for the Republican People’s Party (CHP) echoed the MHP leader’s call.
“There is a lot to say but today is not the day for doing so. We know this,” CHP’s spokesperson Halu Koç said, implicating the responsibility of both President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu in the rising conflict.
“Almost 24 hours have passed since this sad incident. However, we haven’t yet learned from the official institutions how many martyrs we have,” Koç said.
Meanwhile, Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu on Sept. 7 met Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu over the Dağlıca attack.
According to Prime Ministry sources, Kılıçdaroğlu had asked for an appointment from Davutoğlu, who accepted the request.