Turkish Foreign Minister Davutoğlu resumes hectic phone diplomacy on Egypt
Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu had initiated a hectic phone diplomacy hours before the military takeover in Egypt on July 3, calling many of his counterparts from Singapore where he was conducting a bilateral visit. AA photoEgypt’s foreign minister called his Turkish counterpart hours after a mass attack in his country on July 8, while Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu has been conducting almost non-stop telephone diplomacy with his counterparts around the world in order to consult about the catastrophic situation in Egypt.
Davutoğlu initiated telephone conversations with British Foreign Secretary William Hague, German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle and Libyan Foreign Minister Mohamed Abdelaziz, diplomatic sources told Anadolu Agency on July 9.
Noting that the telephone conversation had been initiated by the Egyptian side, the sources said Davutoğlu also spoke with Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohamed Kamel Amr on the evening of July 8.
Amr reportedly informed Davutoğlu about the attack, which took place on the morning of July 8 and killed more than 50 people.
Turkey has been harshly condemning the attack, which targeted people collectively, and is concerned that it could lead to more fatal developments, Davutoğlu told Amr. The free will of people should be respected on the basis of constitutional legitimacy in Egypt and Turkey expects the country to return to democracy without losing time, he also said, according to the sources.