Turkish authorities launch cyber security agency
ANKARA - Anatolia News Agency
Binalı Yıldırım (L) sits with Turkish intelligence agency head Hakan Fidan. AA photoTurkish Minister for Transport, Maritime Affairs and Communications Binali Yıldırım said yesterday that the government had established a center to respond to cyber threats.
Speaking at a meeting on cyber security, Yıldırım said that yesterday’s meeting would cover the decisions made earlier on forming public security network including forming internet exchange points and the foundation of the “Centre for Response to National Cyber Threats,” (or USOM).
Yıldırım said there were cyber attacks during the Taksim Gezi Park protests of the past three weeks but necessary measures were taken and problems were solved with the foundation of the USOM which had been in service since May 15.
“There will be more cyber attacks similar to the ones during the protests and the attacks will increase. This is a global threat. The perception of a global threat has been bothering every county now not only with physical forces but also with virtual methods. We have taken measures and are continuing efforts toward international cooperation. Many institutions have been subject to cyber attacks,” he said.
A day earlier, Yıldırım said Turkey was receiving cyber attacks, that even aimed at cutting the power across the country.
Meanwhile, hacker group Redhack have claimed responsibility for all tweets that were posted about the Taksim Gezi Park protests after the government announced that an investigation into the matter had been launched.
“The AKP [Justice and Development Party] is going to conduct an investigation. We have posted all tweets and hacked thousands of people’s computers. Don’t take on the innocent ones, we are here,” Redhack wrote on its Twitter account. “All accounts that retweet Redhack, write about Redhack, or organize the resistance, were hacked by us.” Following the message by the group, Twitter users began to announce that they were hacked by Redhack.