Seven workers hospitalized due to methane gas poisoning
İZMİR - Doğan News Agency
AA photoSeven workers were hospitalized due to chemical exposure in a leather factory in the Torbalı district of the Aegean province of İzmir early on April 20. The workers were poisoned by inhaling methane gas that had accumulated in a mud pool of the purification plant.
A malfunction happened in a pool measuring 2.5 meters deep where mud had accumulated in the factory’s purification plant.
A worker, who was unaware of the methane gas accumulation, entered the pool in order to fix a glitch and fainted after inhaling the gas. Four other workers entered the pool to save their coworker, but shared the same fate after being exposed to the gas. Two others who participated in the rescue efforts of the five workers were also poisoned.
The workers at the factory called emergency services and the poisoned workers were taken to Torbalı State Hospital.
Two of the workers, who were in serious condition, were taken to another hospital after initial treatments.
Meanwhile, one of the ambulances transporting the injured workers to the hospital was involved in a car accident. The police have launched an investigation into the case.