Seven killed in fire in Turkey’s southeast
GAZİANTEPSeven people were killed in a fire that broke out in a hut in the southeastern province of Gaziantep early May 6. Six siblings, aged between two and 15 and their 70-year-old father, Mehmet Emin Bakır, were killed in the fire that broke out around 3:30 a.m. The children’s 56-year-old mother, Naciye Bakır, survived.
The mother went outside after noticing the smoke and went to the neighbors to ask for help as flames engulfed the house. The whole house was on fire when she returned, and workers in a nearby factory called the police and fire department.
The fire department found the bodies of seven people, who died due to smoke inhalation, after putting out the fire.
The family allegedly lit a candle before they went to bed late on May 5, as the house was not connected to any electrical lines.
Bakır, who lost all seven members of her family, was in shock as health officials tried to console the woman.
Their home had a ceiling covered in pieces of wood and cardboard, reported Doğan News Agency, while the family made a living out of junk collecting.
The family’s electrical needs were met with a generator.
An investigation is being done by the fire department to determine the fire’s cause.