Protests banned in bomb-struck Şanlıurfa province

Protests banned in bomb-struck Şanlıurfa province

ŞANLIURFA – Doğan News Agency
Protests banned in bomb-struck Şanlıurfa province

DHA photo

The governorate of Turkey’s southeastern province of Şanlıurfa, where a bomb attack killed at least 32 people and wounded more than 100 others, has announced a ban on rallies, marches and similar gatherings in order to prevent future potential incidents.

“Any activity, marches, press announcements, protests, pitching of tents etc. with possible participation from other provinces, have been banned in our province’s city center and districts,” read the written statement issued by the Şanlıurfa Governorate on July 21. 

A bomb exploded in Şanlıurfa’s Suruç district on July 20, killing at least 32 people. The target of the suspected Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) attack was a meeting of the Federation of Socialist Youth Associations (SGDF). The targeted group was aiming to cross over to the Syrian border town of Kobane, which had been subject to two ISIL attacks over the past 10 months, to bring humanitarian aid and construct a library.

Meanwhile, panic swept among the citizens of Şanlıurfa after a rumor went around the city that ISIL had poisoned the province’s water supply network. 

Citizens rushed to stores where 19 liters of bottled water were being sold as the rumor prevailed. 

The Şanlıurfa Metropolitan Municipality said in a written statement they had conducted tests from six water samples in the region and no trace of poison was found. It added there were security personnel at water tanks and facilities around the clock and routine tests were being conducted. 

Since the incident, nationwide protests have been held to condemn the bomb attack. 

Two people were injured in Turkey’s southern province of Mersin by an unknown assailant with a gun while they were staging a protest against the suspected ISIL attack. 

Reşat Baran and another unidentified individual were wounded by gunfire coming from a building opposite to the park where the protest was being held. The two people were hospitalized, while an investigation has been launched into the incident. 

Police in Istanbul intervened late July 20 in groups of people who were protesting the deadly bomb attack in various Istanbul districts.

Protests were held in Istanbul’s Küçükçekmece, Sultangazi, Eyüp, Sarıyer, and Beyoğlu districts on July 20. 
Meanwhile, unidentified individuals shot at a police station in Istanbul, slightly injuring two policemen, state-run Anadolu Agency reported security officials as saying.