NATO limits airstrikes on Afghan homes
KABUL - The Associated Press
In this Wednesday, June 6, 2012 file photo, Afghan villagers gather near a house destroyed in an apparent NATO raid in Logar province, south of Kabul, Afghanistan. AP photoThe U.S.-led military coalition in Afghanistan says it is limiting airstrikes against homes to a weapon of last resort for self-defense following a strike last week that killed women and children alongside insurgents.
NATO and U.S. forces spokesman Lt. Col. Jimmie Cummings said Monday that commanders previously could order airstrikes against insurgents inside civilian dwellings as long as they were confident that there were no civilians present. Cummings says that the new restrictions mean commanders will not be able to call in a strike unless it is to save the lives of their troops. This applies even if it is clear there are no civilians in the house.
Cummings says NATO forces "will not use air-delivered munitions against civilian dwellings unless it is a question of self-defense for our troops on the ground."