McClaren steps down as FC Twente coach
THE HAGUE- Agence France-Presse
In this file photo, English coach Steve McClaren answers questions during a press conference on Nov. 8 after a Europa League football match. AP photoFormer England coach Steve McClaren said today that he has resigned from Dutch club FC Twente, after a string of poor results that has sent them sliding down the league table.
McClaren, 51, said he held talks with the club’s management after Saturday’s 2-1 defeat away to Heerenveen to thrash out a way forward, which he said had to include finishing in the top four of the Dutch division and regular qualification for Europe.
The Enschede side were joint top after the winter break but have slipped to fifth in the league, six points adrift of leaders PSV Eindhoven, after four draws and two defeats in six matches, triggering criticism and protests from fans.
“Saturday’s result has seen further adverse reactions and with two home games coming up we feel the team needs the support and backing from the supporters,” McClaren said.
“I also needed assurances about my position both now and in the future which I know in the present situation is difficult,” he added.
“After much discussion and deliberation those assurances weren’t forthcoming and we have agreed it’s in the best interest of the club that I leave.
“We agree the club is bigger than any one individual and Twente is too big in my heart to stand in the way of its progress.” McClaren, who was sacked as England manager in 2007 after failing to qualify for Euro 2008, has had two spells at FC Twente, guiding the club to the Eredivisie title in 2010.
He then left to manage German side Wolfsburg and Nottingham Forest in England before returning to the Netherlands in 2012. His contract had been due to run until June 2014.