Judiciary raided in Ergenekon trial, Turkish deputy PM says
ISTANBUL – Hürriyet Daily News
Daily News Photo Emrah GürelDeputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç said the courthouse had been “raided” at today’s trial of the alleged Ergenekon coup plot case, singling out the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) deputies as being responsible for the incidents at Silivri today.
“This is the first time that a courthouse has been raided and the judges threatened,” said Arınç, reading documents taken by the security forces at the courthouse. Arınç said CHP deputy Muharrem İnce had acted as an “organization’s head,” chanting slogans and hitting the floor with his chair. “CHP deputy Nur Serter called on Muharrem İnce to chant more slogans,” he added.
Arınç claimed that the actions of the CHP deputies prevented those who were attempting to defend themselves at the trial today, adding that this must be regarded as an attempt to seize the court’s right to jurisdiction. “I condemn the deputies who caused this,” he said, adding that the incidents would carry a “political cost” for the CHP.
Judges hearing the controversial Ergenekon case postponed the trial until April 11 due to high tension outside the court today, as thousands of protesters clashed with police and gendarmerie forces.
Police and gendarmerie forces used pepper gas and pressurized water against tens of thousands of protesters, who pulled down police barriers in front of the 13th Istanbul High Criminal Court in Silivri.
The CHP was represented at the hearing by 50 deputies, including the deputy leader of the party, Umut Oran, and deputy group chairman Muharrem İnce.