Hague police detain 200 as disturbances continue
AMSTERDAM - Reuters
AFP photoPolice in The Hague said on July 3 they had detained more than 200 people overnight for violating terms of a curfew, as unrest in the city continued for a fourth night.
Protests in the mostly immigrant Schilderswijk neighborhood began on June 29 amid anger over the death of a Caribbean man while in police custody.
However, the nighttime disturbances since then have been all but devoid of any protest message. Residents have asked police and politicians to restore order, while Prime Minister Mark Rutte described youth lighting fireworks and throwing debris at police as "retarded".
Mayor Jozias van Aartsen promised a stronger response.
Of 61 people who had been arrested in connection with the unrest through July 2, police said almost all were younger teens suspected of vandalism.
Most of the 200 detained July 2 night and early July 3 were taken to jail by bus, fined and released to their parents' custody.
In a statement on July 3, police chief Paul van Musscher thanked residents who helped by approaching youth and telling them to go home.