General Staff denies reports on officers
ANKARA – Hürriyet Daily News
The Turkish General Staff says a probe was launched Dec 2. DAILY NEWS photo.The Turkish General Staff said yesterday they have launched an investigation into allegations that a group of gendarmerie officers posted slander against Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and his family on social media websites.
There were previously claims that an investigation had not been launched into the incident and documents on the matter were sent by the General Staff to Commander of the Turkish Gendarmerie Forces Gen. Bekir Kalyoncu, who had not taken action and had ignored countless complaints submitted regarding the slander, daily Yeni Vakit reported.
The Turkish General Staff, however, responded in an online statement that the claims were not true and an investigation was launched Dec. 2, when the information reached the General Staff offices. “The investigation continues,” the statement concluded.
The claims in Yeni Vakit also said the slander campaign on Facebook was organized by nearly 40 gendarmerie officers prior to the general elections and targeted the prime minister, his family and other members of the government. The hateful messages were deleted by the officers once it became clear the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) would win the elections.
The General Staff also denied reports that a Güllhane Military Medical Academy (GATA) doctor resigned after being pressured to issue a medical report for Gen. Nusret Taşdeler, who was wanted by police as a suspect of the Internet Memorandum case but remains in the hospital for treatment.
A newspaper reported Dec. 26 that several doctors were being pressured to release Taşdeler’s medical records and Dr. Sedat Köse had resigned as a result. Yesterday’s web statement from the General Staff denied those claims, stating that they had requested an update on Taşdeler’s health. The doctors who signed the report, including Köse, still serve at the hospital, the statement read.