Controversial playground near Atatürk’s mausoleum removed
ANKARAA controversial playground constructed near the Ankara mausoleum of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the founding father of the Turkish Republic,was removed after prompting anger on social media on Sept. 25.
“The Anıtkabır Maintanance, Repair and Restoration Committee unanimously decided to remove the portable playground on Sept. 25,” the General Staff said in the statement issued on its website.
The construction of the playground had drawn an angry reaction from some locals, with many complaining of “disrespect” to Turkey’s founding leader.
The Ankara Chamber of Architects had issued a statement concerning the installment of the playground, with head Tezcan Karakuş Candan saying they had filed a written request with the Protection Council and the Anıtkabir Commandership for the removal of the playground. Candan added that they would file a criminal complaint against those who have committed such “disrespect.”
Meanwhile, a group of protesters removed some swings of the playground on Sept. 24 following a protest outside the mausoleum’s gate.
‘Waste of time for Turkey:’ Deputy PM
Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmuş also commented on the discussion about the removal of the controversial playground.
Kurtulmuş said that he thought it was a waste of time for Turkey to discuss this subject while there were many other more important issues.
“This playground had been placed here for a good purpose, for children to play. Then, the General Staff decided to remove the playground over reactions. That is it,” he told journalists while speaking at a press conference after the cabinet meeting in Ankara on Sept. 26.